Wednesday, January 21, 2015

{Glimpses} Hometown...

How many times does it take before something becomes a habit or a part of your routine? Last Wednesday I started to document my "glimpses" here as a way to participate in the drawing assignments that I give my class. I want my students to keep a sketchbook or journal where they collect images of things that they see in their daily life that inspires them. I took a drive last Wednesday making a point of pulling over to snap a photo of things that caught my eye. I found that I was looking forward to doing the same thing this Wednesday. While I won't always take photos of my hometown for this feature, I felt the need drive the backroads again today. It really has a way off clearing my mind and my stresses seem to melt away temporarily. I also just got a new zoom lens for our camera and really wanted to test it out. Here are my five Wednesday glimpses.


Glimpse 1:  Every time I pass this little building, I crane my neck to look at the vintage signage. I'm a sucker for typography and rust. So today I pulled over and got out of the car to snoop. 




Glimpse 2:  In addition to cool, vintage signs, there were old gas pumps and cars out  back. I loved the colors and shapes. 




Glimpse 3:  It was the row of birds on the roof of this barn that made me pull over. They had a really great view of the valley. I like the lines and color of grass in this photo as well. 


Glimpse 4:   Unfortunately I couldn't capture the sound, but this is what is above Sayer and I when we walk to school these days. If the sun is hitting the trumpeter swans just right, they shimmer. It's truly spectacular to witness and I always look up. I snapped a photo today to document pattern. I've been playing with images to create new pattern screens for my textiles and this may inspire a new screen print. 



Glimpse 5:   I don't think I will ever get tired of watching swans, particularly when they take flight. I've been drawing swans in thread for my plush, textiles, and screen prints so I took this photo as a study. I love the the swan's wings- so delicate and strong. I really do wish that I could fly. 

What has inspired you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails